tAukerman

here I am

How to Delete Audiobooks from Your Zune

April15

For those of you Zune owners who don’t know how…

Since Zune software doesn’t actually put your audiobooks onto your Zune, it won’t help you pull them off when you’re done. You have to use the program that transferred them in the first place – for me, that’s OverDrive.

Here’s how to remove audiobooks from your Zune.

1. Connect your Zune to your computer.
  2. Open OverDrive.
  3. Click on one of your active books (doesn’t matter if you’ve already transferred it or not).
  4. Click the Transfer button:
    overdrive-transfer3
  5. Click the Next button.
  6. Click the Advanced Options button:
    overdrive-advancedoptions
  7. Click the Browse button:
    overdrive-browse
  8. Right-click on your OverDrive folder and click “Delete“:
    overdrive-delete

All of your audiobooks will be removed from your Zune. That’s exactly what I wanted to do, but if you’re interested in only deleting one book, you can open the OverDrive folder and right-click/delete individual files.

Kinda kludgy, but if you’re like me, you’re really just excited that there’s a way to get these files off of your Zune.  =)

posted under howto
43 Comments to

“How to Delete Audiobooks from Your Zune”

1. Avatar July 15th, 2009 at 3:45 pm 752317 Says:

you wouldn’t have that problem if you used a mac.

2. Avatar July 25th, 2009 at 3:15 pm Rita Says:

Thank You,Thank You,Thank You,Thank You

3. Avatar July 27th, 2009 at 11:55 am donna Says:

thanks so much – smooth as silk!!!

4. Avatar July 28th, 2009 at 8:20 pm Addie Says:

Thanks for walking me through this process. Love the audiobooks…love the zune…this helps a great deal!

5. Avatar August 5th, 2009 at 7:38 pm Rich Says:

This was very helpful. Thanks!

6. Avatar August 29th, 2009 at 7:38 pm Donna Says:

All I can say is thank you! I was getting so frustrated trying to figure out how to remove them off my zune!!! Thank you so very much!! :)

7. Avatar October 19th, 2009 at 12:53 am Ab33 Says:

Thanks! this was a lifesaver. Yes we wouldnt have this problem on the mac, we would have worse ones! Mac people can be so annoying

8. Avatar December 5th, 2009 at 5:58 pm elina Says:

i took out an audiobook from the library and it expired already, so it dosn’t show on my overdrive collection. any other tips on how to remove it from my zune? it is only taking up space there now…
    thanks!

9. Avatar December 13th, 2009 at 8:22 pm Kathleen Says:

Thank you so much!! I was struggling with trying to figure out how to do this. Thanks for making you post so simple, easy to understand, and EXTREMELY helpful!!

10. Avatar January 3rd, 2010 at 10:40 pm Tara Says:

Elina, same thing. Just right-click and delete that entire directory once you’re finished with all the books – expired or no.

11. Avatar January 6th, 2010 at 11:39 pm Amy Says:

Thanks, Tara! That helped a lot. =)

12. Avatar February 12th, 2010 at 9:37 pm Angela Says:

The books are already off Overdrive, and none of the fixes I’ve found online work. Help!

13. Avatar February 19th, 2010 at 2:04 pm Tara Says:

If you don’t have any books in OverDrive at all, download a sample file (http://www.overdrive.com/resources/drc/#test) and use that to follow the instructions above.

14. Avatar August 14th, 2010 at 10:21 pm AMIEE Says:

Thank you so much-I was going nuts trying to figure this out!

15. Avatar September 18th, 2010 at 3:30 pm Anna Says:

Thanks! My instruction book that came with my Zune might as well be used to start the first fire of the season! USELESS! I have cleared out the books I’ve listened to and have space to load more. I think I’ll check the rest of your blog to see if you have more Zune advice!

Thanks again!
    Anna

16. Avatar September 27th, 2010 at 10:37 am Joyce Says:

Thank you so much! All I have on my Zune are audiobooks. Out of 8 Gigs, there is only .00 something left. I don’t want to remove all of them, some I would like to listen to again sometime. So I will just delete the ones that were not favorites. My battery life is only lasting about 6 hours now. My thinking is it is bacause it is so full.

Thank you for your help!

17. Avatar September 29th, 2010 at 8:16 pm weijiajun Says:

Awesome, thanks for adding this! Works like a champ!

18. Avatar January 3rd, 2011 at 5:33 pm Griffin Says:

Worked perfectly — have been wondering how to delete audiobooks for some time now. Cheers!

19. Avatar February 7th, 2011 at 11:36 am Terrie Says:

Echoing other comments, thank you so much. I had initially deleted many of my books off Overdrive on my computer, not realizing that it wouldn’t affect the player itself. I went to Microsoft’s page, no luck; forum – there was a download patch someone suggested that didn’t work; etc. I did one last Google, found your site, and did the transfer step even though I really didn’t want to delete that particular book, got to Advanced options and voila, the books I no longer wanted were there and are now deleted!

Tara, thanks again for the tutorial! I certainly didn’t get it from Microsoft.

20. Avatar March 2nd, 2011 at 12:11 am Omegalazarus Says:

Thank you for this. My Zune finally filled up and I had a bunch of Audiobooks on it.

Sure we wouldn’t have this problem with a Mac, but we would have to rue that our comrades are the type that jump on opposing tech forums just to thumb their nose.

21. Avatar March 2nd, 2011 at 11:47 pm Marnolia Says:

THANK YOU! Nothing I tried was working. You are a lifesaver. So glad to finally have those books off of my Zune. Time to fill it with new ones. :)

22. Avatar March 27th, 2011 at 3:26 pm JimJ Says:

Great Thank You

23. Avatar March 27th, 2011 at 3:27 pm JimJ Says:

24. Avatar May 9th, 2011 at 8:31 pm JKP Says:

Awesome. Thanks so much. I finally got rid the audio I’ve had on there since February.

25. Avatar July 1st, 2011 at 10:46 pm jayso Says:

Awesome! Thank you!

26. Avatar July 17th, 2011 at 11:35 am Steve Vallen Says:

Many Thanks for the information. I was struggling to remove expired books

27. Avatar August 9th, 2011 at 2:17 pm tony D Says:

Two things:
    One:
    trying to delete. When I attach my zune it opens on the computer. I can see all the music content. But – I see no heading titled “audiobooks” or any entries of my audiobooks.

Two:
    I would like to download from “Librivox.org” This is a site of free classic texts. While I can download, I can’t figure how to transfer to Zune.

Finally – as others have noted – the insturctiona that come with the Zune are the closest thing to useless.

Thank you for your help.

28. Avatar November 29th, 2011 at 9:22 pm Robin Says:

To Tony D
    When downloading from Librivox.org just drag and drop the mp3 to music directory like you would any other mp3

29. Avatar February 12th, 2012 at 6:04 pm Melissa Says:

So simple. Very clear and easy to follow. Thank you, thank you, thank you.

30. Avatar June 2nd, 2012 at 3:12 pm Robin Says:

You can also delete by doing a long press on the book title on the Zune and then pressing delete. I’ve found that library books on my Zune never expire like they do on other devices.

31. Avatar June 20th, 2012 at 12:24 am Geneva Says:

So helpful. I appreciate it! Thank you. Love my Zune. So many books and so little time!

32. Avatar September 18th, 2012 at 3:36 pm Sara Says:

Thanks! It’s not exactly intuitive, is it? :)

33. Avatar December 6th, 2012 at 4:24 pm Ash Says:

Thanks a bunch. Figured this out a while ago, but inconveniently forgot, and you saved me many many minutes of trying to puzzle it out. By the way, you know you have a beautiful website? It’s absolutely gorgeous. ^_^

34. Avatar January 4th, 2013 at 1:06 pm Zoof Says:

Thanks so much for this. It drove me crazy when the books would expire, but still take up room. Now i can get rid of those annoying expired books. :D

35. Avatar March 8th, 2013 at 5:18 am Darren Says:

Thanks, I had the same issue with Elina above on expired audiobooks, but reading your reply and re-reading your instructions cleared it up.

36. Avatar August 5th, 2013 at 10:27 pm Tasha Says:

OMG I can’t thank you enough. I wish I could add this to pinterest.

37. Avatar August 25th, 2013 at 5:24 pm JustMe Says:

Ummm…..I use Zune to add audiobooks to my Zune player all the time. You just need to get them to MP3 format and stored in the folder the Zune looks for files in (ie My Music). You can rip audiobook CDs or download and then add through Zune.

38. Avatar August 26th, 2013 at 2:36 pm Tara Says:

I’m still using an ancient Zune – early generations. This is the only way to do get audiobooks to work on my device. Glad you don’t have the same issue!

39. Avatar February 1st, 2014 at 1:01 pm Tamirra Holloway Says:

AMAZING!!!! I’ve been trying to do this for a year! A MILLION THANKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

40. Avatar April 13th, 2014 at 11:29 pm Heydi Says:

Thank you so much for posting this! Really appreciate it. You are wonderful and I think you deserve a ten pounds of your favorite food delivered asap to your doorstep! :)

41. Avatar December 11th, 2014 at 6:02 pm Christina Says:

Thank you so much my son’s books were piling up and I had no idea how to delete them!!

42. Avatar January 6th, 2015 at 8:17 pm jen Says:

You can also just hold your finger down on the title on the zune screen, then when a window pops up asking if you want to delete, hit delete, and yes. Much faster.

43. Avatar November 25th, 2015 at 11:15 pm Michele Says:

this works well, but even though I have the zune set to transfer manually the books keep coming back…does that make any sense? whatever am I doing wrong? It’s like I remove them from the computer and they get transfered back from the zune, or the other way around. Any thoughts?

Email will not be published

Website example