I travel a lot. I spend four days a week in another town because I’m working with a team supporting an EMR implementation at a new hospital.
I have a pattern, a rhythm going. I stay at the same hotel every week. I leave a “crate” (a plastic tub/box) at the hotel when I’m in Indy so I don’t have to drag so much back and forth. And what I do drag back and forth is pretty much always the same stuff, except I switch out the clothes.
So why is it that THIS week, I’ve forgotten so many things? I’ve become accustomed to living a certain way, having certain things while I’m away – and I’ve left a large number of them at home! There’s a running list, but in just one day, here’s what I’ve discovered I’ve left:
- My food (this is an extended stay hotel with a full kitchen, so I bring food from home)
- My cell phone and bluetooth earpiece chargers
- My Zune charger
- My sweatshirt (doesn’t sound like it, but this is a big deal – it’s freezing cold here and you don’t want to wear a business suit jacket to the free breakfast, while lounging around, or while chillin’ with the girls. worse, you don’t want to wear it to a smoky bowling alley, which is where we’re going tomorrow night.)
- The movie I was going to watch and then mail in (so I could have the next one on the queue this weekend in time for next week)
- The DVD TV series I’ve been watching. (Yes, I have cable here, but I work from noon to ten. The only thing on TV after ten is animals and sex. Also, in the TV series, it was season finale time, so I’m dying to know what happens next!)
- My facewash (hotel soap doesn’t remove the makeup well at all, and leaves a nasty feeling behind)
And the straw that broke the camel’s back, the thing that’s making me want to pull my hair out: my freaking toothbrush and toothpaste!
Yes, I can replace these and live without most of the rest (I have to buy food and facewash, too, now) – but I just cannot express how annoyed and grouchy I am about this week. Not a good way to start a week, and I have three long days ahead. And I have to start this one by showering, dressing, then going to work early so I can buy at toothbrush and toothpaste – and brush AT work. Yuck.
How’s your day starting out?